Thursday, September 10, 2009

The White Queen


I have never read any of Philipa Gregory's historical novels before though I once started her popular "The other Boylen Girl" that had been made into a movie! (not enough time) The White Queen was my first one. I listened to it over several days as I drove back and forth from work. If you enjoy English King/Queen history then this book will be a delight for you. You have to keep in mind that this is a work of fiction, however! There was plenty of drama though this was ultimately a love story and a delving into what the English monarchy was like during the15th century.
It is the story of the Plantagent monarchy and the so called 'Cousins' Wars. The White Queen, Elizabeth Gray, marries the usurper King Edward, who with the help of the Duke of Warwick, took the throne by force. Elizabeth and Edward went on to rule England for many years and they had 8 children, 2 of whom were boys, the young princes Edward and Richard. Though this bit of English history was vaguely familiar to me, Gregory's work put a face to what before had been only musty history. I once saw Shakespeare's Richard III as an outdoor stage production and knew about the 2 young prince's that he murdered and of course his loss of the battle to the Henry who was the beginning of today's Tudor Kings. Gregory's book helped fill in some gaps in my understanding of that time and especially of who and what Richard III was along with all the intrigue and politicking that abounded in the royal English court. I enjoyed this story and think anyone who enjoys English history might as well!

No comments: