Monday, October 5, 2009

Petropolis by Anya Ulinich


This month's book club discussion is about Ulinich's book Petropolis. The story is about young Sasha Goldberg, a half jewish, half black Russian Teenager living in depressing, post communist Asbestos 2 in Siberia. That her life is filled with abject misery is plain, and so is the life of almost every character we meet in the book. I did not find much redemption in this story, even in the crippled Jake, or the reunion of Sasha with her daughter and most especially not in the way Sasha ends up in America. To say that I did not enjoy the book is an understatement, but then, I don't think I was supposed to enjoy it in the traditional sense. It did, make me think, especially about our perceptions about culture and immigration. I had to force myself through the first 100 pages, but it was a bit easier after that fortunately. I will be interested to hear what others thought of this story.

No comments: