Friday, November 20, 2009

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah


I have just finished my second Kristin Hannah novel, Firefly Lane. As soon as the story began I knew that it was going to be vaguely similar to the one I had just finished. While this one was several hundred pages longer and spanned a far larger time period I felt like I had somehow already read it. Girl from trouble home with drug addict, absent mother, meets girl from stable loving home. Troubled girl is enveloped into the warm loving home and thus begins a 30 year long friendship/relationship. This story covers the entire 30 year span rather endlessly. The book was very warm and mostly sweet and filled with tear jerking moments with the usual line up: men, careers, marriage, children....with one girl pursing a career, and one pursuing marriage and family. If you want a pretty stereotypical read, well this is the book for you. It wasn't that I would have called it a bad read, after all, I did finish it. It's just, well not too surprising. No unusual characters, or even very deep relationships despite a 30 year friendship between two women. The book doesn't really get going and I skim quite a bit of the middle. Will this ever end? I know this will be the last Hannah book that I read (unless I'm on a desert Island and it's the only book I can find) But I will probably recommend them to people who aren't looking for something too deep to fill their evenings, or beach days with. Very predictable.

No comments: