Monday, November 10, 2008

Best Sellers at the LeMars Library



The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer is not only on lots of best seller lists, it's popular here too. I have my name on it and will have to wait patiently. You would think the librarian might get a break here, but I came in too late to lay claim. None-the-less plenty have been reading and enjoying it, so I had to encourage you to check it out too. Here's a review from a reader: "I read this book off a recommendation of a friend and had no idea what to expect. I really didn't even know what the book was about! However, it's one of the best books I've read in a while. "

The Story, set just as the second World War ends is about a writer who discovers the citizens of the Isle of Guernsey quite by accident. She begins a remarkable correspondence with the Potato Peel Pie society's members, learning about their island, their taste in books, and the impact the recent German occupation has had on their lives. Captivated by their stories, she sets sail for Guernsey, and what she finds will change her forever.

No comments: