Monday, December 1, 2008

Check out this great classic!



"I have been, am, in his service; I have seen his generosity and goodness; and I will never betray him-not for all the gold in the world. I have come from a village where they don't eat that kind of bread." Can you place that quote? Well, it happens to be from Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne. A memorable quote, I think. I had this book downloaded into my IPod from our WILBOR site so I could listen to it on the way to Thanksgiving dinner in St. Louis! If you haven't chanced to check these out yet, you should be sure to check out the site. the WILBOR downloadables are full of classic books and it is a great way to 'read' them if you've never done so before. The Jules Verne book fills the bill for family entertainment, full of action, and good fun all around. There's no doubt that Verne is teaching as well. The listener gets a history lesson, a geography lesson, and lessons in being honest and trustworthy. Would Passepartout take a bribe to betray his master, Mr. Phileas Fogg? Was Mr Fogg a liar and a thief? Would Mr. Fogg sacrifice his wager to rescue his servant? And what about that numskull detective Fix, who was following them all over, who nearly ruined everything? Could he be forgiven, ever for his betrayal? That is the wonderful amazing part of the story that keeps you listening. You can check it out on WILBOR, come to the library and get the book, or get it from us on audio as well. It's worth the effort.

No comments: