Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Aunt Dimity Series by Nancy Atherton


Here's a mystery series that is quite nice. Cozy. Comfortable. Well, maybe on the side of 'chic flick' but very nice nonetheless. The series I'm talking about is the Aunt Dimity series by Nancy Atherton. I read Aunt Dimity beats the Devil. While Aunt Dimity didn't actually show up in the story until nearly 3/4 of the way through, the main character, Lori Shepherd was there throughout. I almost always think that it doesn't matter where you start in any given series because generally you get all the details you need to know about characters and events as you go along. I think I would have done better to have at least read the first book, but alas the Le Mars library doesn't have it. At any rate, the story, as with all the Aunt Dimity books, is set in England. Lori is on her way to a restored castle, Wyrdhurst Hall to catalog a collection of rare books. The trip, the hall, the residents are full of surprises. Some pleasant, others not so pleasant. There's a charming handsome stranger, ghosts, and a series of WWI letters that involve a mysterious romance. It is a very easy read book and...I read it without cheating by looking at the end of the book. That's always hard for me, but the ending was a nice surprise! This is a series I highly recommend.

No comments: