Monday, November 9, 2009



Patty Jane's House of Curl takes place near Minneapolis in the 60's. The overall story is about the bonds of women in a very "Steel Magnolia-ish" style. I can't remember when I read a more tragic story than this one. Tragedies fall around every corner, from husbands to sisters. Though the Beauty parlor, the House of Curl, actually figures little in the overall story, it is offered as symbolic for family in general, though in one weird passage, The House of Curl holds an Art show movie that offends most of its patrons, and seems a bit out of place in the story overall. Characters abound, from outspoken Patty to a nearly unnoticeable Nora, to the mildly outrageous Clyde Chuka. I wish a lot of things about the story line of this book. Mostly, I wish I hadn't so highly recommended it before I'd even read it. Our monthly book Club will be discussing this book on Tuesday. I'm going to be interested in their opinion. Read it if you dare, but don't have high hopes for it.

No comments: