Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Little Giant of Aberdeen County

I finished Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker the other day. Someone in book club highly recommended it. This book followed the life of Truly Plaice, who was born bigger than any baby known. She was born in a small town in the 50's. I wanted so much for someone to love this child and when it eventually shows up, for her to truly accept it and herself for who she is. I wept at the ending and found myself wondering if in my encounters with others I waste time judging the other person because of their weight, their beard, their family circumstances before I even get to know them. I longed for others of the town to give Truly a hand up, an understanding ear, anything that would have lessened the pain of her life. Even some decent healthcare would have helped.

This is a debut novel by this author, and I highly recommend this book. It's one you own't put down!


"She never understood that love- especially that of a child- was the most necessary weight you can endure in life, even if it hurts, even if it tugs bags under the skin of your eyes. Without it, the soul skitters to the edge of the world and teeters there, confused

No comments: