Monday, August 3, 2009

The Help



I know, the year is only half way through and here I am picking the best book that I've read this whole year. That book is, Ta Da!! The Help by Kathyrn Stockett. Oh my goodness, I could not put it down. And when it was down all I could think about was what was going to happen and what must be going on in the book right now. We were camping and when I should have been doing other things I was sneaking some reading in. I read sitting around the campfire, I read before bed, I read while my husband started the morning with the breakfast cooking routine. I read when we rode in the car. I finished the book in 3 days with a bit of extra things thrown in for good measure.


The book centers on the lives of 3 women, 2 black and 1 white, in the south during the 1960's. It is the story of Jackson, Mississippi and those southern belle sorority girls who have little to do but play bridge and gossip all day, and their 'help' black domestics who clean, cook and care for their children all day. It takes quite a look at the injustice and racial lines that were firmly in place during the 60's but puts a very personal face to it all. I found the story to be very authentic, troubling and deeply compelling. This is one book I highly recommend.

No comments: