Saturday, August 29, 2009

Olive Kitteridge


Elizabeth Strout's Pulitizer Prize winning book was my latest read. Another book that I often thought about as I went through my day. The main character, Olive Kitteridge is a person that I feel like I vaguely know. Though stern and unbending she reminds me of my grandmother somehow. Another generation that I'm not quite connected to and have difficulty relating to. This book takes a look at how our lives rush by and the changes in it can some times be baffling and leave us disoriented and dismayed. The story is told in a series of little stories with Olive sometimes as the center of the story, and somethimes as just a bit player. All of them feature citizens of Crosby, Maine and tales of hurt, loss, life. I highly recommend this book, and am even more thrilled to say I loved a Pulitzer Prize winning story.

No comments: