Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian



We just got a set of play aways here at the library. These are a digital version of an audio book, and pretty cool at that. Stick your headphones in, press play and off you go. I have been listening to Sherman Alexie's Young Adult Novel, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian. I am absolutely gripped by it. Mind you, I wouldn't want my 5th grader listening to this one, but it will strike a chord with those high schoolers and any adult that checks it out.


The story is about Junior, a native American Indian from Spokane Tribe living on the 'rez'. He lives with his alcoholic father and long suffering mother, his grandmother and sister. The story does not gloss over what grinding poverty can do to the soul, what the government has taken away, or the hope that sits like a small glimmer in the most desperate of hearts. This story was alternately hilarious and heartbreaking. I couldn't quit listening. I recommend this book but with a warning...teenage boys and sex. teenage boys and violence.

No comments: